Sunday, September 25, 2011

Much Too Young


Early this bright sunny morning,
     not far from a grassy field where kids played,
I learned of a boy’s death,
     just about thirteen, maybe one more.
All I could think, in a quiet awkward pause,
     much too young and way too soon.

There’s a photo of him, happy, with a grin;
     others by him laughing, all is good.
Part of the thousand words is joy,
     good friends, chilly night, warm faces.
How quick the picture became a tribute,
     much too young and way too soon.

Late this night I ponder much
     about the boy and his unfinished verse,
how the powerful play of life goes on
     and other actors’ incomplete scenes that
contributed to my fragmented lament
     much too young and way too soon.


For Jared, and for all my students 
    (some are with him), for Rob too.

  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was amazing made me cry!

burnera said...

Poignantly beautiful.

john said...

this is amazing.

kitty said...

brought back memories . <3 .